The Best Mesothelioma Treatment Centers in the U.S.
Nicole Winch | November 17, 2020
Finding a facility that specializes in treating mesothelioma is an important part of your treatment plan and life expectancy. Selecting a treatment center for yourself or a loved one may not be the easiest task, however, it could make all the difference from receiving great care to exceptional care.
While there are hundreds of cancer centers spread across the United States, not every one will be equipped to treat mesothelioma. Since mesothelioma is among rarer cancers, only a small percentage of facilities really excel in treating this cancer.
Deciding on a facility should be done carefully and with urgency. If you received your diagnosis from a primary care doctor, you may not be referred to a mesothelioma specialist for a second opinion. Oftentimes, patients will have to travel to state-of-the-art facilities in order to see their specialist.
Making the right choice could mean the difference between receiving a prognosis of 6-12 months compared to living years as a survivor from receiving the most advanced treatments.
Which Hospitals Rank the Best for Mesothelioma Treatment?
In 2019, the U.S. News & World Report news source ranked the top hospitals in the country. Out of the 5,000 hospitals evaluated, the list of 21 “honor roll” facilities consisted of hospitals that also offered superior mesothelioma treatment programs.
There were numerous hospitals and cancer centers with mesothelioma specialists that received praise for their treatment programs. The list included how the hospitals ranked in specific types of treatment and units such as cancer care and surgeries related to mesothelioma. The rankings for unit and treatment were based on:
- Patient experience
- 30-day survival rates
- Volume of patients
- Patients discharge to home
Out of the 21 national hospitals that made the list, here are the highest-ranked facilities that feature comprehensive mesothelioma programs:
- Mayo Clinic, 1st
- Johns Hopkins Hospital, 3rd
- University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) Medical Center, 6th
- University of California San Francisco (UCSF) Medical Center, 7th
- New York University (NYU) Langone, 9th
- Brigham and Women’s Hospital, 13th
- Mount Sinai Hospital, 14th
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Presbyterian Shadyside, 15th
- University of Pennsylvania Penn-Presbyterian hospitals, tied for 18th
How to Choose a Mesothelioma Treatment Center
When picking a cancer center there are a variety of things to consider depending on your circumstance. Despite making sure you find a reputable mesothelioma specialist, you should also consider:
- Treatment costs (Can I afford this?)
- Travel ability (Do I want to travel?)
- Location (Is there a center near me?)
- Surgery Options (Does the center perform curative surgery?)
- Insurance (What will my insurance cover?)
- Clinical Trials (Are there options for clinical trials?)
- VA Healthcare (Is there a specialist trained to help veterans?)
Asking yourself these questions is key to finding a mesothelioma treatment center that fits your specific needs.
If you or your loved one has been diagnosed with mesothelioma, there are compensation options available for you to help pay for treatment or travel expenses. At BCBH Law, we are experts in this field and have helped thousands of patients find treatment and get legal help for their diagnosis. Fill out our free case evaluation form to see what compensation options you or your loved one may qualify for.