Mesothelioma Lawsuit Discovers Asbestos in Bowling Balls
Alex Campbell | January 7, 2022
A mesothelioma lawsuit recently uncovered a new asbestos exposure source— bowling balls.
There was a time not long ago that asbestos could be found anywhere you looked, from the brake linings of your car to the ceiling tiles at work. These days we know the risks of asbestos exposure, but we’re still surrounded by products that could contain the deadly fibers – including bowling balls, the newest in a long line of products that were manufactured with asbestos in the past.
When contaminated bowling balls had finger holes drilled into them it loosened the dust inside and left asbestos fibers floating in the air. These fibers can be easily inhaled or swallowed eventually causing mesothelioma.
At the time people did not know there was a risk to drilling finger holes without proper protection. The bowling balls had no warning of the asbestos used during manufacturing, putting anyone who drilled finger holes into them unmasked in danger.
This was the case for a bowling alley owner whose family filed a mesothelioma lawsuit against Honeywell.
Honeywell reportedly sold discarded brake lining dust from their New York manufacturing plant. The asbestos filled dust was used to make certain types of bowling balls that led to the bowling alley owner’s exposure and mesothelioma.
A Los Angeles jury ruled in favor of the owner’s family in 2019 awarding them $4.3 million. The original ruling was later appealed by the defendant Honeywell, but was upheld by the appellate court.
We learn more each day about asbestos and the role it once played in manufacturing. While we’re still working to remove asbestos from everything we use, each discovery is a step in the right direction.
If you or a loved one have mesothelioma or believe you have been exposed to asbestos contact BCBH Law to learn about your next steps.